Jeffrey Hunt practices in the area of commercial litigation, with particular emphasis on First Amendment, access, media, and intellectual property law. Mr. Hunt regularly represents national and local media companies in state and federal courts and counsels clients on defamation, privacy, First Amendment, and related issues. He has served as local counsel for two national television networks. Mr. Hunt is also a registered lobbyist in the State of Utah.
Mr. Hunt earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from Iowa State University in 1983. During the four years following, he was a Copy Editor for The Des Moines Register, and a Reporter for the Quad-City Times and Deseret News.
Mr. Hunt is an adjunct professor at the University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law and is a regular guest lecturer on First Amendment and Media Law at the University of Utah, Weber State University, and Brigham Young University. In 1992, he founded the Utah Freedom of Information Hotline at Parr Brown, which provides free legal assistance to the public and journalists. He is a two-time recipient of the Roy B. Gibson Freedom of Information Award from the Utah Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and received an Honorary Publisher award from the Utah Press Association. In 2004, Mr. Hunt received the Service to Journalism Award from the University of Utah Department of Communications.
Mr. Hunt was ranked as a top Utah lawyer for First Amendment and media litigation by Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2005-2013 editions. He was recognized by Benchmark Litigation 2011-2014 for achievements in Commercial Litigation and Media Law. Mr. Hunt was selected for the 2006-2014 editions of Best Lawyers in America and was named “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of First Amendment (2012) and Litigation - First Amendment (2013) by Best Lawyers. He has been continually recognized by Mountain States Super Lawyers, and in 2013 was named one of Utah’s “Top 100” lawyers in the Intermountain area. He has been continuously recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite by Utah Business magazine in business litigation. Mr. Hunt has been awarded an AV rating – the highest awarded by Martindale-Hubbell.In the news:
- Defamation lawsuit dismissed against Winder, DDM
- 'Watershed moment': Council votes to allow video cameras in Utah courts
- Video cameras to be allowed in courtroom
- New GRAMA bill would create state 'records ombudsman'
- Logan Mayor limits media contact
Publications & Presentations:
- “Getting to Know Your GRAMA (Government Records Access and Management Act): Practice Tips and Pointers,” Paralegal Section, Utah State Bar, February 13, 2013
- “Banned Books Week Lecture: Censorship and the First Amendment,” The Kings English Bookstore, Salt Lake City, October 2, 2012
- “Leaks, Leakers, and the Law,” First Amendment Day Speech, Iowa State University, April 6, 2011.
- H.B.477 and the Government Records Access & Management Act (GRAMA), Save GRAMA Presentation, March 30, 2011.
- “Benefits of the Mentor and New Lawyer Relationship,” Utah State Bar Annual Meeting, Sun Valley, Idaho, July 17, 2010
- "What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings," Lorman Seminar, September 16, 2008.
- "Utah’s Sunshine Laws: Understanding Your GRAMA and the Open Meetings Act," Association of Public Attorneys Conference, February, 2007.
- "Freedom of Information in a Post-911 World," Keynote speech at the Society of Professional Journalists Regional Conference, April 9, 2005.
- Co-author, “Survey of Utah Employment Privacy Law,” Media Law Resource Center, 2005.
- Co, author, “Utah Anti-SLAPP Statute Applied to Dismiss Defamation Claim Against Newspaper,” Media Law Resource Center, Media Law Letter, 2004.
- Co-author, “Survey of Utah Law on Privacy and Related Claims Against the Media,” Media Law Resource Center, 2004.
- "Utah Open Government Guide and Media Law Handbook," Utah Headliners Chapter Society of Professional Journalists and Utah Foundation for Open Government (Co-edited with Michael P. O’Brien) (2003)
- Co-author, “Open Government Guide: Open Records and Meetings in Utah,” Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, 2001.