Craig Parry is a trial partner who has a diverse litigation practice with a particular emphasis in technology, intellectual property (including patent, trademark and copyright infringement), unfair competition, Japanese corporate law, non-compete and trade secret cases and other complex litigation. He also advises and assists regional, national, and international clients in developing, obtaining, utilizing and protecting their intellectual property assets by negotiating and drafting licensing, distribution, joint venture, acquisition and other agreements.
Mr. Parry lived and practiced law in Japan and speaks Japanese. His practice frequently involves matters in the Pacific Rim. He advises and represents numerous Japanese companies doing business in the United States and Europe. He also counsels and represents many and diverse U.S. companies doing business in Japan, advising them not only on legal but also cultural issues as well. He frequently represents Japanese clients involved in litigation in the U.S. as well as U.S. clients involved in litigation with Japanese companies.
Trusted by clients, some of whom he has represented more than 15 years, Craig Parry is known for his wise judgment, strategic skills, and his ability to manage the financial aspects of a case that result in winning solutions. To his clients he is a trusted adviser who takes the time to know and understand the client’s business, needs, and goals; a highly effective litigation strategist; and an insightful and financially responsible problem solver.
Mr. Parry’s extensive experience includes providing advice, counseling and handling disputes for clients in the semi-conductor, professional sports, consumer electronics, computer software, workplace safety, tobacco, Japanese corporate law, industrial machinery, manufacturing, nutritional supplement, wholesale and retail foods, education, and other diverse industries.
Mr. Parry recently served a three-year term on the Board of Directors of Meritas Law Firms Worldwide, an international alliance of 170 commercial law firms with over 6,300 attorneys. He also has a strong sense of community involvement, serving for many years as President of the local Cal Ripkin/Babe Ruth Baseball League, which provides opportunities for over 600 youth to play baseball.
Mr. Parry has a nationwide practice and is admitted to practice before State and Federal Courts and Circuit Courts of Appeals throughout the nation. Mr. Parry is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He is recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Litigation, Intellectual Property and has been selected by his peers as one of Utah's Legal Elite in business litigation in Utah Business magazine.
- Dynamics Chocolates/Alpine Confections Canada, Inc.
- Fannie May Candies
- Gastec Corp. (a Japanese company)
- Idaho Supreme Potatoes
- Kajima Corp. (a Japanese company)
- Lighthouse Worldwide Solutions
- Maxfeild Candy Co.
- MGN Internationsal, Inc.
- Nagase Sangyo, K. K. (a Japanese company)
- Neways International
- Nippon Intek, K. K. (a Japanese company)
- Rion, K. K. (a Japanese company)
- Schneider Electric (Square D)
Publications & Seminars:
- "The Importance of Wa When Doing Business in Japan," Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, October 2006.
- Interview, "Bridging The Cultural Divide," Utah Business, May 2004.
- “A Study of Trust in Japanese-American Joint Ventures,” Journal of Managerial Issues.
- “Japanese Business Practices: Myth and Reality,” The Asian Century Business Report.
- "Protecting and Enhancing Intellectual Property Rights in the United States," presentation to clients, corporate counsel, and attorneys in Japan.